Friday, January 9, 2009

First Blog!!!

I’m impressed. Very impressed actually. Not too many people would be brave enough to click on a picture like that. I guess I’ll just play it off as “being extremely excited about my upcoming graduation.” Yeah, that’ll work.

Well my name is Ryan Floyd. I’m a Communications major (Radio/TV) and this is my last semester (knock on wood) here at Rogers State University. I grew up here in Claremore, and graduated from Claremore High School in 2005. Yes, that’s right; I’m a four year graduate. Surprisingly (to me) I’ve stayed right on schedule. That may be my biggest piece of advice to new freshman. Stay on schedule. Don’t get me wrong though. Stay on your schedule. If you know it will take you 4 ½ or even 5 years, fine. Just be sure to set your goals and stay with them.

I’m about to sound like a paid-endorser here (but I’m not getting a dime for this. Trust me, I tried!) RSU has the best staff. My advisers, Dr. Gentry and Prof. Williams, have been such a huge help to me throughout my time here at RSU. But I have a great example of just how great these people are.

Today I had a question about enrolling in a class for my minor, Business Administration. I got to walk right into the department head’s office; mind you I’ve never met this man. He answered all of my questions, gave me some much needed advice, and even filled out my paperwork for me! That’s just the way the faculty are here at RSU. You really get one on one interaction with them. It makes the whole experience so much better.

So that’s my first piece of advice: stay on your schedule.
And don’t try to enroll the Friday before classes start. The enrollment office gets crowded.

1 comment: